As a consultant, one of the primary responsibilities is to deal with strange problems or issues that arise. And inevitably some obscure issue will come to the surface during a demo… Since I specialize in Microsoft’s Forefront Identity Manager combined with a previous life as a Windows Server Engineer, I run a fairly comprehensive virtual development and demo lab with about every mainstream Microsoft Server product deployed across an average of 80 virtual servers. Given the right set of circumstances you’ll find products that just don’t play nice together.
After my failed SSPR password reset demo, I went through the standard troubleshooting check list including configuration verification. The first thing I found awry was permissions missing for the FIM Service account on WMI's Root/CIMV2 namespace. Since this was a functioning SSPR environment, I know they had been set previously. In addition, the Root/MicrosoftIdentityIntegrationServer namespace was missing from the tree too. My schedule allowed enough time to repair the issue but not fully perform a Root Cause Analysis to the situation.